DVLA Number Plates Local Offices Closures completed entirely.
Wednesday, 18 December 2013
Today sees the final day of business at any DVLA Registration Office thus ending an era of history and creating a significant inconvenience to millions of motorists.
A brief potted History of the DVLA Local Offices is below and despite many efforts by DVLA staff, stakeholders and the Motoring and Number Plate industry it has fallen on deaf ears and the decision made some two years ago followed through.
Originally there were 180 local number plate taxation offices when DVLA took over responsibility for vehicle registration and licensing from County Councils. By 1971, there were 81 Local DVLA Vehicle Licensing Offices (LVLOs) responsible for the registration of new and imported vehicles and licensing transactions not handled by Post Offices. The LVLOs also dealt with export licensing arrangements, trade registration plates, cherished transfers and carried out the local Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) enforcement duties.
In 1974, about 2,500 Post Office branches were able to issue VED tax discs.
Since 1974, many of the agencys internal processes have been automated and other services can be provided online. As a result, the structure of DVLAs local services network has changed and its size has been steadily reduced.
In 1985, the number of LVLOs was reduced to 53. By then, about 95% of all VED licensing transactions were completed at one of more than 4,000 Post OfficesÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â®. To reflect the changing nature of their work the LVLOs were renamed Vehicle Registration Offices (VROs).
In 1995, DVLA introduced Automated First Registration and Licensing (AFRL), which enabled car manufacturers and dealers to register vehicles electronically, without the need to involve a VRO. The local network was reduced again, to 40 offices in 1997. Since 2000, they have been referred to as DVLA local offices. In 2008, the Luton office was closed bringing the network down to 39.
Since the introduction of AFRL, the DVLA has continued to provide more services electronically, including the introduction in 2004 of Electronic Vehicle Licensing (EVL), and more still are in the pipeline. After a review of local office functions in 2009, the network was developed to focus on providing an initial face-to-face contact for customers, with more of the associated processing work being centralised. DVLA Centralised Processing Units (CPUs) were established in Manchester, Swansea and Northampton to handle personalised registration and number plate transactions from across the network. A centralised operating model was also developed for the future management of enforcement casework.
With the closure of the last DVLA Local Offices, all customer-facing counter services from DVLA will be available through intermediaries (e.g. Post Office Ltd) and DVLA is embarking on the next phase of its transformation to offer more digital customer services.
Transfers of personalised number plates remain a severe problem with backlogs and ridiculous timescales in place which are not being adhered to and one arm of the DVLA contradicts what the other is saying.
Most particularly over the counter assignment of personalised DVLA Number Plates, issued by DVLA, which were an over the counter service have disappeared and whilst they can instantly take your money you cannot display the new number plate for a number of weeks. The DVLA need to address this as a matter of urgency!!
All 39 local offices are to be closed permanently in three tranches by Friday 13 December 2013.
Details available at
Other number plate news
- O Number Plates keep of fetching huge sums at DVLA Auction.
- Jamie Vardy Premier League Winning Number Plate
- Snooker Private Number plates kick off World Championship
- AG 1 Number Plate fetches Â£200k
- Black and Silver number plates
- Bernard Manning's 1 LAF number plate for sale
- Ferrari number plates are rocketing
- Asian Number Plates fetch KR15HAN & KR15HNA fetch over 200k
- F1 Number Plate buyer offered 6 million pounds
- DVLA number plates banned list!
- DVA Irish plates for Sale in Personalised Number Plate auction Sale announced.
- Number Plates are "Bomb-proof!!!" say BBC's Inside Out
- Cheap & Bargain DVLA number plates from £39 keep rolling.
- DVLA Car Registrations Cherished Transfer Office mistakes
- Loans Finance new 60' DVLA car registrations on September 2010
- DVLA issue new V5c Car Registration Certificate
- R4V number plates feature on the BBC with DVLA
- Selling DVLA personalised car number plates made easy!!
- Cherished number plates "1 HRH" fit for a Queen sells at over £100,000!!
- Number plates for cars, registrations & vehicles, MOT Tests & new rules
- "O" Number Plates to be auctioned. Search DVLA auction number plates.
- Directgov - Vehicle registrations car tax online - Department For Transport
- Private DVLA Car Number plates scan nets criminals
- Goldfinger Private Car Number Plates AU 1 up for auction
- Personalised Car Number Plates 1 RH at DVLA Auction
- DVLA cheap private car number plates sales defy credit crunch
- CRA 1G UK private car number plates owned by fraudster
- S1 DVLA Car Number plates dating back to 1903 to be auctioned
- DVLA Personalised car number plates transfers speeded up!
- DVLA Private Number plates staff strike over pay
- Car Insurance versus Cherished Car Number Plates Insurance
- F-ast of the mark for F' prefix private car registrations
- 51 NGH DVLA Private car number plates finally re-surfaces
- Top Gear's "The STIG" number plate from DVLA Number Plate Auction
- Rooney Car Private Number Plates up for a transfer??
- 888 Car Number plates bring luck on 08/08/08
- DVLA Swansea Department blows £33 million of tax payers money
- DVLA Swansea Number plates files used for snooping by Councils
- Registration of Number Plates suppliers to be extended
- Personalised & Private Car Number Plates auction at Legoland!
- Number plates cloning highlighted by MP to DVLA Swansea on TV
- Cherished Registration Numbers Club Rally 2008
- AMS 1 - Car Registration Number plate coming off the car!
- eBay Number plate section re-vamped by eBay
- ABC 1 Private Number plate has a new "Owner"
- Number Plate Auction kicks off the year in style
- Number Plate Sales break £7m - "1" for the record books
- F1 - Number plates breaks all previous UK records.
- Do you think my personalised cherished plates CLA55Y?
- DVLA Swansea Appoints a new boss
- BIG 1 Number plates at BIG DVLNI Auction Price!
- DVLNI Irish number plates change
- Car number plates cloning revamp
- NH 1 - Elite Car Number plate for sale?
- "H8 GAY" number plates withdrawn as being offensive.
- DVLA Government regulations for display of Number Plates