S1 DVLA Car Number plates dating back to 1903 to be auctioned
Friday, 5 September 2008
The incredible rare and sought after DVLA number plate "S 1" is due to be sold via a number plate auction later this month.
The plate issued in 1903 is one of the first ever issued and is incredibly historic.
It was the first car registration number plate issued in Edinburgh, the Scottish capital in 1903 the year registration marks were first introduced in the UK.
It was issued to and owned by Sir John H A MacDonald, the Lord Justice Clerk of Scotland between 1888 and 1919.
Also known as Lord Kingsburgh, he was a motoring pioneer who foresaw the rapid development of the car and the need in the future for a proper road system.
He was one of Scotland's first car owners, and was also a founding member of the Automobile Club of Great Britain and Ireland, which later became the RAC, and was the first president of the Scottish Automobile Club, founded in 1899.
The historic S1 number plate has been in Sir John's family ever since, and is now being offered for sale by his descendants.
This prestigious and much sought after licence will be sold by Bonhams auction house at the Goodwood Revival Sale on 19 September 2008.
Toby Wilson, head of Bonhams automobilia department, said: "This number plate has come directly from the family, and has been with them since it was first issued.
"I would imagine it would appeal to a patriotic Scot who wants to drive around with S1 which could stand for Scotland 1.
"Obviously, it could also appeal to someone called Simon or whose initials are SI.
"However, so far the interest we have received is from neither a Scot or a person called Simon.
"First and foremost, it will be someone who understands motoring history." The sale of this number plate may be another huge milestone in the history of Britsh Car Registrations.
In 2005, Bonhams sold the car registration "1F" for £144,500 and in 2006, it sold "M1" for a then world record auction price of £331,500.
In January this year, Bradford car design entrepreneur Afzal Khan paid £440,625 for the car registration "F1", featured elsewhere on the Reg4vehicles website.
With these factors being taken into account there is huge speculation that S1 could be up there with the real gems of number plate records F 1, M 1, GS 1 and friends!
Other number plate news
- O Number Plates keep of fetching huge sums at DVLA Auction.
- Jamie Vardy Premier League Winning Number Plate
- Snooker Private Number plates kick off World Championship
- AG 1 Number Plate fetches Â£200k
- Black and Silver number plates
- Bernard Manning's 1 LAF number plate for sale
- Ferrari number plates are rocketing
- Asian Number Plates fetch KR15HAN & KR15HNA fetch over 200k
- F1 Number Plate buyer offered 6 million pounds
- DVLA Number Plates Local Offices Closures completed entirely.
- DVLA number plates banned list!
- DVA Irish plates for Sale in Personalised Number Plate auction Sale announced.
- Number Plates are "Bomb-proof!!!" say BBC's Inside Out
- Cheap & Bargain DVLA number plates from £39 keep rolling.
- DVLA Car Registrations Cherished Transfer Office mistakes
- Loans Finance new 60' DVLA car registrations on September 2010
- DVLA issue new V5c Car Registration Certificate
- R4V number plates feature on the BBC with DVLA
- Selling DVLA personalised car number plates made easy!!
- Cherished number plates "1 HRH" fit for a Queen sells at over £100,000!!
- Number plates for cars, registrations & vehicles, MOT Tests & new rules
- "O" Number Plates to be auctioned. Search DVLA auction number plates.
- Directgov - Vehicle registrations car tax online - Department For Transport
- Private DVLA Car Number plates scan nets criminals
- Goldfinger Private Car Number Plates AU 1 up for auction
- Personalised Car Number Plates 1 RH at DVLA Auction
- DVLA cheap private car number plates sales defy credit crunch
- CRA 1G UK private car number plates owned by fraudster
- DVLA Personalised car number plates transfers speeded up!
- DVLA Private Number plates staff strike over pay
- Car Insurance versus Cherished Car Number Plates Insurance
- F-ast of the mark for F' prefix private car registrations
- 51 NGH DVLA Private car number plates finally re-surfaces
- Top Gear's "The STIG" number plate from DVLA Number Plate Auction
- Rooney Car Private Number Plates up for a transfer??
- 888 Car Number plates bring luck on 08/08/08
- DVLA Swansea Department blows £33 million of tax payers money
- DVLA Swansea Number plates files used for snooping by Councils
- Registration of Number Plates suppliers to be extended
- Personalised & Private Car Number Plates auction at Legoland!
- Number plates cloning highlighted by MP to DVLA Swansea on TV
- Cherished Registration Numbers Club Rally 2008
- AMS 1 - Car Registration Number plate coming off the car!
- eBay Number plate section re-vamped by eBay
- ABC 1 Private Number plate has a new "Owner"
- Number Plate Auction kicks off the year in style
- Number Plate Sales break £7m - "1" for the record books
- F1 - Number plates breaks all previous UK records.
- Do you think my personalised cherished plates CLA55Y?
- DVLA Swansea Appoints a new boss
- BIG 1 Number plates at BIG DVLNI Auction Price!
- DVLNI Irish number plates change
- Car number plates cloning revamp
- NH 1 - Elite Car Number plate for sale?
- "H8 GAY" number plates withdrawn as being offensive.
- DVLA Government regulations for display of Number Plates