Registration of Number Plates suppliers to be extended
Friday, 1 August 2008
New powers under the Road Safety Act 2006 will see The Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) & Driver & Vehicle Agency (DVA) in N.I step up the enforcement effort against number plate suppliers who break the law in Scotland & N. I. The DVA is the new name of the former DVLNI in Northern Ireland.
DVLA & DVA are calling on number plates suppliers in Scotland & NI to register with them before 1st Nov. 2008. Those who continue to supply a number plate, personalised or not after that date without being registered risk a fine of up to £5,000 &/or suspension from the register. This follows the extension to Scotland & NI of regulations governing the supply of car number plates, which previously only applied in England & Wales.
From 1st Nov. 2008, number plate suppliers in Scotland & N.I. must request & record specific documents (such as DVLA Vehicle registration certificates (V5C/V5CNI) & a driving licence) before supplying number plates. Failure to do so will constitute an offence. They must keep these records for three years following a sale.
The Register of Number Plate Suppliers regulations were originally introduced in England & Wales in January 2003. This was to tackle vehicle-related crimes & reduce the sale & use of ‘cloned’ or ‘ringed’ vehicles as well as the use of car number plates that do not conform to the necessary legal requirements. DVLA Sell number plates at auction however which encourage the mis-spacing and misrepresentation of plates and so are a bit hypocritical.
It is already an offence across the UK for motorists to display non-compliant car number plates on their vehicles, as of 1st Nov. 2008 it will become an offence to supply number plates that do not comply with the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001. Some normal & cherished number plate suppliers already advise their customers that non-compliant number plates cannot be used on the road & are for display purposes only, however, it will now become offence to supply non-compliant number plates irrespective of any advice given.
Noel Shanahan, Chief Executive of DVLA said: “Extending the register of number plate suppliers scheme to the rest of the UK & new regulations prohibiting the supply of non-compliant number plates are important & positive steps. These measures will further secure the integrity of the number plate supply system & provide greater assurance in helping to identify vehicles & their users where needed.”
Brendan Magee, Chief Executive of DVA said: “The extension of the register of number plate suppliers scheme to Northern Irel& is further evidence of the Government’s commitment to making it more difficult for criminals to obtain number plates. This register will be an important source of information for the investigation of vehicle crime. These measures introduce some control over the supply of number plates &, along with recent progress towards the wider availability of theft-resistant number plates represent an essential component of the Government’s vehicle crime reduction strategy.”
Jon Hartley of the British Number plate Manufacturers Assoc (BNMA) said: “The BNMA very much welcomes the roll-out of the register of number plate suppliers regulations to Scotland & N.I. Enforcement & awareness is the key to successful implementation & we welcome any new initiative by DVLA & DVA to push this strongly. We are positive that a well-enforced roll-out of the scheme will aid tractability of number plates, reduce number plate related crime & generally improve the quality of number plates fitted to vehicles in the UK.”
DVLA & DVA have a team of enforcement officers who visit suppliers’ premises. They are able to offer advice to help suppliers comply with the legislation. If they believe stronger action is warranted, they are also authorised to instigate legal proceedings. There have been reports however of over zealous policing by DVLA staff and aggressive approaches to number plates suppliers.
Other number plate news
- O Number Plates keep of fetching huge sums at DVLA Auction.
- Jamie Vardy Premier League Winning Number Plate
- Snooker Private Number plates kick off World Championship
- AG 1 Number Plate fetches Â£200k
- Black and Silver number plates
- Bernard Manning's 1 LAF number plate for sale
- Ferrari number plates are rocketing
- Asian Number Plates fetch KR15HAN & KR15HNA fetch over 200k
- F1 Number Plate buyer offered 6 million pounds
- DVLA Number Plates Local Offices Closures completed entirely.
- DVLA number plates banned list!
- DVA Irish plates for Sale in Personalised Number Plate auction Sale announced.
- Number Plates are "Bomb-proof!!!" say BBC's Inside Out
- Cheap & Bargain DVLA number plates from £39 keep rolling.
- DVLA Car Registrations Cherished Transfer Office mistakes
- Loans Finance new 60' DVLA car registrations on September 2010
- DVLA issue new V5c Car Registration Certificate
- R4V number plates feature on the BBC with DVLA
- Selling DVLA personalised car number plates made easy!!
- Cherished number plates "1 HRH" fit for a Queen sells at over £100,000!!
- Number plates for cars, registrations & vehicles, MOT Tests & new rules
- "O" Number Plates to be auctioned. Search DVLA auction number plates.
- Directgov - Vehicle registrations car tax online - Department For Transport
- Private DVLA Car Number plates scan nets criminals
- Goldfinger Private Car Number Plates AU 1 up for auction
- Personalised Car Number Plates 1 RH at DVLA Auction
- DVLA cheap private car number plates sales defy credit crunch
- CRA 1G UK private car number plates owned by fraudster
- S1 DVLA Car Number plates dating back to 1903 to be auctioned
- DVLA Personalised car number plates transfers speeded up!
- DVLA Private Number plates staff strike over pay
- Car Insurance versus Cherished Car Number Plates Insurance
- F-ast of the mark for F' prefix private car registrations
- 51 NGH DVLA Private car number plates finally re-surfaces
- Top Gear's "The STIG" number plate from DVLA Number Plate Auction
- Rooney Car Private Number Plates up for a transfer??
- 888 Car Number plates bring luck on 08/08/08
- DVLA Swansea Department blows £33 million of tax payers money
- DVLA Swansea Number plates files used for snooping by Councils
- Personalised & Private Car Number Plates auction at Legoland!
- Number plates cloning highlighted by MP to DVLA Swansea on TV
- Cherished Registration Numbers Club Rally 2008
- AMS 1 - Car Registration Number plate coming off the car!
- eBay Number plate section re-vamped by eBay
- ABC 1 Private Number plate has a new "Owner"
- Number Plate Auction kicks off the year in style
- Number Plate Sales break £7m - "1" for the record books
- F1 - Number plates breaks all previous UK records.
- Do you think my personalised cherished plates CLA55Y?
- DVLA Swansea Appoints a new boss
- BIG 1 Number plates at BIG DVLNI Auction Price!
- DVLNI Irish number plates change
- Car number plates cloning revamp
- NH 1 - Elite Car Number plate for sale?
- "H8 GAY" number plates withdrawn as being offensive.
- DVLA Government regulations for display of Number Plates