NH 1 - Elite Car Number plate for sale?
Monday, 29 January 2007
Car Number Plate NH 1 may be sold by Northampton Borough Council who are being urged to sell the Mayoral car's official car number plate, which could be worth up to £250,000
The Chronicle & Echo consulted three cherished number plate experts who estimated the NH1 plate would be worth between £200,000 and £250,000 to the council's coffers.
The beleaguered local authority recently proposed £3.1 million cuts to services, including the closure of Lings leisure centre, reducing its funding to the Royal & Derngate theatres and scaling down street-sweeping and graffiti removal.
If Lings leisure centre was to close, it would save the authority £150,000, and if the town's 16 public toilets were also to close, the saving would be £200,000.
Rakesh Verma, Managing Director of CNDA registered market leader Registrations 4 Vehicles ltd, and their website www.Reg4vehicles.co.uk , said: "As per many councils and counties up and down the country, Mayoral cars bear many valuable plates.
"NH 1 on the open market would command a value of between £200,000 to £225,000, which is a considerable sum."
Martin McLaughlin, owner of Leicester Motormarks registrations, said the number plate was issued to the borough council in 1904, free of charge. He said he sold the number plate 1NH for £40,000 many years ago, and personalised number plates of this type had at least quadrupled in value since then. He said the NH1 private number plate could be worth anything up to £250,000.
Alanda Downey, of spedyreg, said: "NH1 is a particularly old, original car cherished number plate and is worth a small fortune.
"It could fetch anything up to £250,000 and would be highly sought-after. There is a massive market out there for distinctive plates such as this.
"It's amazing how many people are prepared to pay this kind of money.
"Number Plates like this very rarely come on the market, , so demand would be huge."
A council spokesperson said: "It has been suggested, as part of the public feedback on the budget options, that the council should consider selling off the NH1 private plate on the mayoral car.
"All comments made as part of the car registration consultation will be presented to councillors for their consideration.
"There are no official records about how the council acquired the number plate, but it is believed it was a gift to the town from Thomas Cockerill, who was mayor in 1956 to 1957.
"Estimates received by the council last year indicated that the number plate would sell for £75,000 to a private cherished number buyer.
"However, the council's budgetary situation requires long-term solutions and while selling off the registration plate would bring in some revenue in the short-term, we really need to identify year-on-year savings."
Get Reg4vehicles to value your car registrations for free at:
Other number plate news
- Asian Number Plates fetch KR15HAN & KR15HNA fetch over 200k
- F1 Number Plate buyer offered 6 million pounds
- DVLA Number Plates Local Offices Closures completed entirely.
- DVLA number plates banned list!
- Snooker Private Number plates kick off Betfred.com World Championship
- DVA Irish plates for Sale in Personalised Number Plate auction Sale announced.
- Number Plates are "Bomb-proof!!!" say BBC's Inside Out
- Cheap & Bargain DVLA number plates from £39 keep rolling.
- DVLA Car Registrations Cherished Transfer Office mistakes
- Loans Finance new 60' DVLA car registrations on September 2010
- DVLA issue new V5c Car Registration Certificate
- R4V number plates feature on the BBC with DVLA
- Selling DVLA personalised car number plates made easy!!
- Cherished number plates "1 HRH" fit for a Queen sells at over £100,000!!
- Number plates for cars, registrations & vehicles, MOT Tests & new rules
- "O" Number Plates to be auctioned. Search DVLA auction number plates.
- Directgov - Vehicle registrations car tax online - Department For Transport
- Private DVLA Car Number plates scan nets criminals
- Goldfinger Private Car Number Plates AU 1 up for auction
- Personalised Car Number Plates 1 RH at DVLA Auction
- DVLA cheap private car number plates sales defy credit crunch
- CRA 1G UK private car number plates owned by fraudster
- S1 DVLA Car Number plates dating back to 1903 to be auctioned
- DVLA Personalised car number plates tranfers speeded up!
- DVLA Private Number plates staff strike over pay
- Car Insurance versus Cherished Car Number Plates Insurance
- F-ast of the mark for F' prefix private car registrations
- 51 NGH DVLA Private car number plates finally re-surfaces
- Top Gear's "The STIG" number plate from DVLA Number Plate Auction
- Rooney Car Private Number Plates up for a transfer??
- 888 Car Number plates bring luck on 08/08/08
- DVLA Swansea Department blows £33 million of tax payers money
- DVLA Swansea Number plates files used for snooping by Councils
- Registration of Number Plates suppliers to be extended
- Personalised & Private Car Number Plates auction at Legoland!
- Number plates cloning highlighted by MP to DVLA Swansea on TV
- Cherished Registration Numbers Club Rally 2008
- AMS 1 - Car Registration Number plate coming off the car!
- eBay Number plate section re-vamped by eBay
- ABC 1 Private Number plate has a new "Owner"
- Number Plate Auction kicks off the year in style
- Number Plate Sales break £7m - "1" for the record books
- F1 - Number plates breaks all previous UK records.
- Do you think my personalised cherished plates CLA55Y?
- DVLA Swansea Appoints a new boss
- BIG 1 Number plates at BIG DVLNI Auction Price!
- DVLNI Irish number plates change
- Car number plates cloning revamp
- "H8 GAY" number plates withdrawn as being offensive.
- DVLA Government regulations for display of Number Plates